Thursday, May 31, 2012

Gardening

Many of you know that I am a Master Gardener through the NC State Extension Service.  I love gardening and wish I could spend about three hours a day just digging in dirt in the spring.

My love for gardening came from my maternal grandmother, Eva Ferguson.  She was an avid gardener and helped charter a garden club in the 30s.  She served as a judge at Yard Beautiful Competitions and Garden Shows.  And, she and my granddad, George, could plant the most gorgeous and prolific garden with vegetables galore. 

At the time of being in her various gardens, selecting flowers for her dinner table, picking tomatoes, stringing beans or finding a rotten potato to throw at my brothers, I never realized I was learning a hobby and a skill that would last a lifetime.

Adults may never know the power of helping a child discover their gifts.  But, their nurturing of me was done in such a way that the learning never outweighed the fun!  Thanks to my grandparents for this gift that keeps on giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment