Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Joys of Being An Aunt


I never had kids!   But, I love kids and for some reason kids seem to love me.  They don’t care if I have on your makeup or if I have on a color coordinated outfit.  They don’t care if I have money.  When they look at me, they just see a tall child standing there looking back at them!  They know I love to have fun so they are drawn to that energy. 

Children never set high standards for adults.  They simply want to have fun when they’re around you.  My belief is that children look right past our faces and look straight into our hearts. 

I made a choice to be childfree.  I didn’t want to have children because my career involved extensive travel.  I knew it would not be fair to them to have an absentee mom. And, I never would have wanted to miss “the firsts” in their lives. 

So I dedicated myself to being the best aunt a girl could be.  I have watched my niece and my three nephews become really cool young adults! I think being an aunt is life role of tremendous honor and I cherish it. 

Buuuut, being a great aunt is even more divine! As my Grandma Eva would have said, “I declare I do love these great nieces!”  Here’s Addison, who will be three this week, and Aunt Laura cooking our first cake together last fall.  Now, isn’t she the cutest?  














If you are an aunt – adore the times you have with your nieces and nephews.  Time flies by so quickly!





No comments:

Post a Comment