Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Salute to Administrative Professionals

I got my start in the business world as an Administrative Assistant.  Actually, I was a secretary in the Student Records Department in a public school system.   I loved being a secretary because I could evaluate problems, find solutions, produce get things and then watch the boss get all the glory.  I never quite understand why any of my bosses would really think that others believed they personally had done the work when it was their staff that made them look good!  Puleeze!

I swore to myself when I became a boss, I would always give credit where credit was due.  Since I started my speaking and training business http://www.laurahamiton.com/ I have hired some amazing Administrative Professionals! I’d like to salute them for keeping my life in order, telling me where to go when I was often lost, leading me into through 26 years of my business, and always showing respect and love to me.  We all had a blast working together and we became great friends as well!

My first full time assistant, Janice, possessed a keen mind.  She is a wonderful dedicated mom and wife who took such good care of me.  Always ahead of anything I asked of her to do in the workplace, Janice encouraged me to meet my future husband – a horticulturist project manager- in the apartment community in which I’d just moved. She currently works for Edward Jones.

Sheila, a great assistant, introduced me to the world of giving back.  Sheila is a Martha Stewart Clone with tremendous God given gifts. Anything she touches- whether it is running a successful soy candles/soaps business or raising little goats – turns to gold. 

Amy kept me balanced during my busiest years in the speaking business.  She started working part time with me in her junior year in high school and continued through college. Amy brought youth in the office with new technological skills to enhance our message.  She also taught me how to chill.  She is now a Senior Financial Analyst with The Speed Channel.

Julia came into my life in 2005.  She pulled me kicking and screaming into the 21st Century with many long hours of patiently training me to use technology to my advantage.    Julia is a machine.  She can do 53 things at once and never break a sweat.  She never complains, keeps her nose to the grindstone, finds humor in every task, and simply makes me look brilliant when I arrive for my presentations. She will soon get her BA degree from the University of ILSpringfield.

As you look at your Administrative Professionals tomorrow, thank them for not only what they did in the work environment but for the influence they have had on your life!  S-a-l-u-t-e!

No comments:

Post a Comment