Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fathers Day

I loved my daddy.  He was such a decent, caring, and fun loving man.  No one could have asked for a better dad than my brothers and I had in Joe Hicks. 

 When I think of my father, I immediately smile.  He was just pure joy.  No one ever loved life more than my dad.  Everyone wanted to be around him.  Children were drawn to him!  Men admired him.  Women thought he was charming.  He was the complete package.

Although a stern disciplinarian, he punished only when it was deserved.  There was never a discussion as to why we were being disciplined.  It was just the overhanging fear of when it was coming.  Oh, I’d try to be extra special good when he arrived home from work so he’d think, “What a precious child she is!”  I just knew I’d win him over and he’d just let the disciple slide.  Little did I know, I was like a dog who had just misbehaved….I gave him every signal he needed when he walked in the door announcing, “Laura has messed up again and it’s time to fix her!”  Daddy mostly disciplined with lectures.  Oh, they were painful!  And, you felt like a slimy slug when you slunk away from him - vowing to never disappoint him again. 

Two things I learned from those discipline sessions:   One - I had to pay for my crimes.  Two - I became a good speaker by listening to his delivery methods!  In other words, he made me who I am today! 

 I salute my dad, Joe Hicks!

No comments:

Post a Comment