Thursday, February 17, 2011

Start Next Week Off With a Healthy Heart


Since Valentine’s Day just passed, I want to remind you to take care of your heart – physically and emotionally.  First, let’s talk about the emotional healthy heart.  In a recent study of people 45+, AARP wanted to discover the levels of loneliness in this age group.  Loneliness is a significant predictor of poor health. A little over one-third (35%) of the survey respondents were categorized as lonely. Isn’t it interesting that 1/3 of our population 45+ could be lonely?  Loneliness is a sad destination. The survey indicated that people involved with “outside the workplace” activities were not as lonely as they seek to connect with others for support and a more satisfied lifestyle.                                   

 Second, let’s talk about physically taking care of your heart.  In the past two years, I have made a concerted effort to get healthy.  In the process, I have lost 43 pounds and I feel great!  How, you ask? Here are some things I have done to change my heart health:

1) I literally stopped eating anything white because most white foods have empty calories with no nutritional value.

 2) I stopped sugar binges and learned to snack on fruits and nuts as a healthy alternative. 

 3) I no longer eat anything with aspartame (artificial sweetener that has the same chemical composition as  formaldehyde and causes continuous food cravings – see www.janelhullocom for her Sweet Poison articles). 

4) I avoid any products where the first ingredient is high fructose corn syrup – it’s such dangerous stuff.  

5) I no longer eat anything that my great-grandmother would not recognize as food. 

Take care of your heart health – not only for yourself- but for your family and friends as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment