Monday, September 12, 2011

Favorite Teachers


In the first twelve years in school, I had favorite teachers.  There was: Mrs. Fletcher in the 2nd grade; Mrs. Latham in the 6th grade; Mrs. Mangum in the 7th grade; Mrs. Ihara in the 9th grade;  and Mr. Ellis in the 10th.  They each had wonderful gifts of sharing their love for teaching with an eager student who wanted to please.  I admired them all.

In college, my favorite professor was Dr. Robert Calhoun at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.  Of all the favorite teachers I had, Dr. Calhoun impressed me the most. He had an amazing knowledge of history.  He didn’t teach the students history - he told us history in wonderfully crafted story telling techniques. It was as if he was there at the event he was highlighting any particular day in class.  He never looked at one note. Dr Calhoun simply talked non-stop, for 50 minutes, as if he had to tell us as much as he could about the topic- juust in case if he never saw us again. In my four years at UNC-G, I took every class Dr. Calhoun taught.  I was an official Dr. Calhoun Groupie. 

Funny thing is?  I graduated with a minor in history and I didn’t even know that I had achieved that accomplishment until I received my diploma.  Ya know why?  I merely enrolled in classes taught by the greaetest history teacher ever and didn’t want to miss a thing he had to say! 

I salute the many dedicated teachers and professors who have amazing impact on students’ lives every day!  Thanks to you all.

 
Pictured here at Western Piedmont Community College at their convocation on August 15th.  They were a wonderful staff and faculty!

No comments:

Post a Comment