Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Jim Scherer and Ruth Alexander


Jim Scherer and Ruth Alexander.  Those names may not mean much to you but these two people  had a powerful impact on my college career.  You see, my SAT scores were too low to be an athlete!!  Yup, that’s right!  I couldn’t get into college upon graduation from high school.  So I got a great job but always yearned to get a college degree. 

I worked with Jim Scherer, a wonderful man, who saw my potential.  He talked to me extensively about getting my degree.  Jim gave me the courage to contact the University of NC at Greensboro about that very possibility.

Ruth Alexander was the adviser for Adult Students.  She set an appointment for the two of us to meet and discuss my future.  Since my scores were so low, yet my high school transcript reflected at 3.5 GPA, Ruth gave me a chance to attend UNC-G for one semester – on a probation   basis.

My requirements?  To make As in my first 12 hours of classes.  I knew I could do that!  I’d make her proud of me. She’d see that I was worth the risk she took on me! 

So I took four classes my first semester while still working a 40 hour week job.  And, I made As in each class.

I brought the report card to Ruth Alexander and showed her my results.  She jumped up from behind that big desk of hers, gave me a hug, and sent me on my way to get my BA in Speech Communications.

What would I have done without the encouragement of Jim Scherer and Ruth Alexander?  I would have never had the courage to even ask if I had a chance at a college degree.  May everyone be as fortunate as I was to have these two great encouragers in their lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment