Monday, September 19, 2011

School Buses


I am amazed at the number of kids who do not ride school buses.  In my community, 50% of children do not use bus transportation.  Now, in a time when we have high gas prices and we talk about going green…why would we not encourage students to take advantage of the stop in front of your house convenience?

Parents today have made the choice to drive their kids to school and does that ever change the traffic flow once school starts. Don’t get me wrong.  I love driving in the summer with no buses on the road at all.  But, when each parent shows up on the road with one student in their vehicle, using gallons of gas to make sure their one child has a personal taxi ride to their destination – it just really makes no sense to me.

Why back when we were kids, our parents would tell us, “You’re lucky you have a school bus to ride!”  Because, you know, they had to walk 5 miles to school, uphill both ways, in 12 inches of snow…with no shoes.

I have said it before and I’ll continue to say it – we only give lip service to going green in America.  We waste more gasoline now more than ever and this is just one example of the waste!

No comments:

Post a Comment