Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Day The Music Died

Today is the 31st anniversary of John Lennon’s death.  When I was 12, the Beatles hit the music scene and I was a huge screaming fan! I bought every album they released. (young people, these were really large CDs on vinyl – just visualize this, please) I knew the words to every song and I would pantomime their songs standing in front of the mirror in my bedroom. I had mad crushes on each of the Beatles. And, I still a fan of their music. Paul McCartney and John Lennon wrote some wonderful lyrics and literally changed music for my generation.   And, let’s face it – Paul McCartney still has it going on… laughing all the way to the bank! 

I can remember exactly where I was when I heard John Lennon was dying.  I was at my dad’s bedside in a quiet hospital room watching him die as well.   December 8th took on a whole new meaning for me.  As I looked at my precious Dad, the Beatles’ music didn’t seem so significant. Their fame meant little to me.

 My dad was the only celebrity I cared about at that moment when my dad sang his last song.
“Oh, I believe in yesterday.”

No comments:

Post a Comment